If you want to play softball or to enjoy the game, you must first understand the basic rules. Every club or team has its unique additions on how they want the game to be played, so you must read through the rules and regulations before you start playing. You also need to have the right gear with you.
Basic Rules of Softball
- Every team will have nine players, and the teams can have players of mixed genders.
- A game should last for seven innings, and each game is divided into two.
- The team that is doing the fielding has a catcher, pitcher and player.
- The chosen batter should strike the ball successfully and do a run on as many bases they find possible. When they run right around and come back, it means a run is scored.
- The team that is fielding is allowed to make batsmen lose the ball by tagging one of their bases before they can get to it, or tagging the batsmen while they are making a run while holding the ball.
- There is no hitting or violent tackling of an opponent.
- People who do not respect the set rules can be banned indefinitely from playing softball.
You have to have the right equipment for you to play softball. There are many shops, both online and offline, where you can buy the correct gear. Some of the items you will need are as follows.
- Training wear
- Absorbent undergarments
- Metal cleat shoes
- Batting helmets
- Body protection
- Catchers gear
- Balls (fastpitch, slowpitch, training, and practice balls)
You should get the necessary gear depending on the position you will be playing, and how frequently you want to play. It is advisable to buy proper quality gear so that you do not have to keep spending on new equipment.